Runaway: A Twist of Fate is a point-and-click graphical adventure. It is a game developed by Pendulo Studios and the sequel of Runaway 2: The Dream of The Turtle, as well as the third and final chapter in the Runaway series.
The game has a 2D appearance, however only the backgrounds are in true 2D because the characters are rendered in 3D using cel-shaded animation. Just like the second entry in the series, the English, the French and German versions of the game were the first available for purchase, all three of them published on November 26, 2009. The original Spanish version was subsequently published in its homeland, Spain, on March 25, 2010, featuring an exclusive special collector's edition to mollify fans annoyed by the delay, as with Runaway 2.
The game begins in the cemetery where Brian's funeral is celebrated, Gina devastated by her loss. After the funeral is over, Gina receives a message from #spoiler#, which says #spoiler# trapped #spoiler# and asks #spoiler#, also orders her not to leave the cemetery because there are two gangsters waiting to kill her...
The game features two major (Brian and Gina) and several minor characters:
- Brian is the protagonist of the entire saga. His role in this game is not as major as in the previous games because of the inclusion of Gina as a playable character.
- Gina is the co-protagonist of the entire saga. Her role in this game is greater than in others, because she is now a playable character. She's the first playable character in this game.
- Dr. Ian C. Bennett is Brian's psychologist at the Happy Dale Mental Hospital. During parts of the game, the player can select his dialog.
- Tarantula, a dangerous assassin and the main antagonist with an obsession with spiders, first met in Runaway 2.
- Kordsmeier, the general from Mala Island is playable for a brief part of one chapter.